Saturday, June 23, 2007

4/19/07

All images are Copyright Jeff Thomann, 2006-2007.

Here's a few quick sketches where I airbrushed in some stuff on a black background. I really like this quick, almost scraper style of working in mspaint. I use mspaint for these because the computer I'm doing these doodles on only has that program installed as far as paint and photo programs go. Just stuff that I do during lunch breaks or other breaks during the day...


On this one, I like how one quick little airbrush stroke can create a sort of visual idea like you are in a cave looking up at an entrance and seeing the skylight above where the stars are or something. I really like this black/white style since the imagery can use both positive and negative white space... and if you don't see it as a cave or something, you can see it as something being depicted, like a bird or something...


Copyright Jeff Thomann


The following is an expansion of the previous idea, but taking it to a full landscape sort of composition. Sillohettes can make for some very interesting images when doing this sort of stuff, especially if you start with either black or grey tones and work your way towards really dark or light as you build up marks on the image plane.
Copyright Jeff Thomann

The following is just something stupid I did to the last pic... I don't really like it, but if I was to put in a character that was fully developed, I could possibly use this sort of placement, either having character facing the viewer or looking towards the horizon line. Not sure why I chose that gross color, but I did... it's just a doodle...

No comments: